What are the duties of a Company Secretary?
A Company Secretary, being an officer of a company, has certain responsibilities in term of administration matters and is responsible in ensuring that all compliance obligations are adhered to.
The following are to be properly established and maintained:
STATUTORY REGISTERS of :
- Index of Members
- Directors, Managers, Secretaries and Auditors
- Debenture Holders and copies of Trust Deeds
- Substantial Shareholders
- Directors’ Interests in Shares, Debentures, Participatory Interests, Rights, Options and Contracts under which there is entitlement of benefits or he/she is a party
- Charges and the Instruments which created the Charges
- Interest Holders (other than shares, debentures, etc)
- Branch Registers
- Minute Books of Members’ Meeting and
- Minute Books of Directors’ Meetings
- Prepare and lodge in time, all returns including any changes in relation to the company, that are to be filed as required by ACRA.
- Administer, attend and prepare AGM Minutes
- Ensure statutory requirements and provisions compliance
- Upkeep, update and maintain the company’s Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Ensure safe custody and proper use of the company seal, if any